Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Non-Windows Mobile Issue relating to ActiveSync with Exchange 2007 SP1

Ehlo All,

If you attended the October 08 meeting of the NY Exchange Server User group (NYExUG), you would have learned that ActiveSync is a different beast for Windows Mobile (e.g. HTC Touch, iPAW Hwxxx, etc) & licensed ActiveSync devices (e.g. iPhone, Palm Treo, etc). So, when I recently upgraded from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007 SP1 (on Windows 2008 - I like pain), I was hoping ActiveSync would just work. Nope, I was out of luck. End user Palm 700p error of AirSAMStateMachine.c 1913 4628. But the fix was pretty easy IF you know the PowerShell command. IF is the key word there.

So, as always, first step of troubleshooting, is to Google the error and see what comes up. I quickly found that ActiveSync's default security policy was probably the cause of the issue. And I crossed my fingers and ran the following command (bold italics on 1 line) below. Also, don't just run commands like I recklessly did, but find out what exactly it's doing and how to reverse it in case all hell breaks loose. This is a mission critical application.

Start --> Programs --> Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 --> Exchange Management Shell
Remove-ActiveSyncMailboxPolicy -Identity "Default"

Then magically, ActiveSync started working. Just so you know, below is the Microsoft TechNet article that explains the various options available in ActiveSync policies. There are many more settings that can be controlled in Exchange 2007. I'm not sure which setting caused the issue, but at least I have 1 less screaming user which makes exploring and research the options more enjoyable.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc182294.aspx

-Ben

No comments: