Friday, October 9, 2009

How a Turkish mobile provider's BlackBerry firmware helped save my BlackBerry Bold.

Hello All,

I've been dealing with dropped calls and signal issues since I initially switched to AT&T in Dec 08. Surprisingly, the problem was the device (BlackBerry Bold) & 3G, and not AT&T. Now, I'm a big of BlackBerry technology, but it's to blame! The Bold is a great device except for one thing, 3G. It seems the 3G driver has a problem switching cell towers in heavily used areas and other random places. So, I would experience dropped calls (many places) and "lock" on EDGE or GSM (heavily used areas) which a quick reboot would fix. Thankfully the Bold reboots quickly (I use an app called QuickPull). The reason for the post was it looks like I finally found a more permanent "solution" to this issue, disabling 3G. I'll explain how later on.

Before I switched to AT&T I tested out the service with a BlackBerry 8820 running OS 4.2 during the end of 2008. It worked great. So, I bought a Bold and switched to AT&T and then the problems started. Initially I thought this was "normal" AT&T service people complained about. Then I noticed a pattern. Certain areas would cause the "problems" above. So, my resolution testing began.

- SIM swap did nothing (that was the 1st and last idea by AT&T support I listened to).
- borrowed another Bold, same issues.
- retested with the 8820 and loaded 4.5, no issues.
- ran a variety of cutting edge (unauthorized) BlackBerry OSes on my Bold in attempts to fix the dropped call problem. They varied from Singapore, Latin America, & UAE. All are developed by RIM, but released to different mobile phone providers for support. AT&T supports 1 version of the BlackBerry OS currently, and it has problem. So, I would load the latest BlackBerry OS I could find and see what would happen.

And then I finally had the idea, it could be the Bold & 3G. So, AT&T did release an OS with the ability to select "2G" or "2G/3G" networks, but due to a serious bug, it was pulled from the market days after release. I decided I didn't want to run that, but finally.... another OS (4.6.0.301) with this capability was released by a Turkish mobile vendor, AVEA. So, I'm running it and so far it's been working as I hoped.

This is the URL that listed it.
http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/newest-9000-os-v4-6-0-301-official-avea-multilanguage-315322/

Enjoy,
-Ben

No comments: